Pedals and New Handlebars

April 21, 2009

Hey Veronica,

Looks like yall had a blast on Friday.  The fire and lights thing is looks really cool.  I was going to email you this question, but figured other people might benefit.  I am looking to buy clip pedals and possibly a new handlebar system and wanted to know if you had any suggestions.

Thanks,

Brittany

1. Veronica permalink*
    April 23, 2009 2:04 pm

I do, but I also need to watch you ride again. When is the next time you’ll join us? I feel strongly about beginners starting out with shimano clips and trail shoes. They’re inexpensive, easy to acclimate to and have a rubber sole. I’ve found beginners struggle with the slick, hard-plastic soles and I’m unsure just how much faster they make you (as a beginner). After you’ve had enough experience to know what type of a cyclist you are, your likes & dislikes, I think you’re better prepared to determine what type of clip-shoe combination will suit you best.

On the handlebar system, tell me what you want to accomplish with the change, or what problem you’re having with your current system…

2. Brittany permalink
    April 23, 2009 11:08 pm

I am still debating if I can make it out Sunday with yall or not. I have finals for the next two weeks so I am trying to gage it by on much studying I have left to do, but if not this Sunday then next weekend for sure. Unfortunately next weekend will be my last ride with yall all summer, except the Tour De Cure, because I will be in Dallas doing an internship program. In regards to the handlebars, I rode 45 miles about a month ago and after the ride my shoulders, neck, wrist, and hands were absolutely killing me. I heard that the handlebars that allow riders to have their arms out in front of them instead of being more of to the sides might be easier on the tension. So I wanted a more relax riding position for the longer rides.

3. Adel Hernandez permalink
    April 23, 2009 11:30 pm

Brittany, I so agree with the shimano clips and trail shoes. Veronica suggested those to me and I’ve done three rides since I changed over to clips with the last being the 40 miler last Sunday. I’m taking my shoes back to get a 1/2 size larger but I do like the trail shoes. My left knee bothered me and it may be the position of the shoe on the clip. I bought mine at Performance. They’re really good about exchanges.

I thought the neck, shoulder pain and numb hands were a normal part of the ride…they’re not??? LOL!! Let me know what handle bars you get and how they feel.

We’ll miss you while you’re in Dallas. See you at the TdC!!

4. Brittany permalink
    April 24, 2009 10:30 am

Wow congrads Adel on doing a 40 miler. How was it? Do you find the clips make your pedaling easier and stronger? Thanks for the advice I will definitely head over to Performance sometime this weekend to check it out.

And I am glad I am not alone in the numbness and pain 🙂 I will for sure let you know any information I find out.!

5. Veronica permalink*
    April 24, 2009 11:27 am

Brittany – If you are having that much discomfort when you ride, you are not fitted properly to the bike. I am not an expert with bike fit, and it sounds like that is the problem – to my untrained ears/eyes.

When you ride, you should not really feel pain. When you do longer rides, you will have some soreness, due to pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. There is a vast difference between soreness or aching versus acute pain.

How long have you had that bike?

Did you buy it new from a store or used from a person?

Who originally fit you on it?

When (assuming you bought it from a store) you bought the bike, there were several things that needed to be done before the bike would fit you properly, because all our bodies are so different.

Some bike stores/people know how to fit, some do not. It’s specialized knowledge. (I can dangle a weighted string from your knee, watch your leg extention as you ride, have you look thru the handlebars to tell me what you see & guestimate saddle potision, but that is NOT fitting you to the bike.)

If you bought the bike used, many bike stores will let you bring it in for a fitting. The prices vary, but it is well worth the money. But go to someone that has real expertise.

Rosalinda just paid to have Janelle from Ride Away @ Redland Rd do a fitting for her. It has made a world of difference. She is riding faster, longer, with much more ease. Personally I feel Janelle will do a good job because along with her incredible knowledge, she’s also a woman. She knows our problems with fit more personally.

Adel – you need to talk with me about soreness/pain when you ride. I try & teach all of you how it feels to ride – what it feels like when you push yourself, when you’re having ‘bad’ pain, all kinds of stuff like that. I didn’t know you were having issues…

• Adel Hernandez permalink
      April 27, 2009 9:36 pm

I probably need to go to Janelle to get a good fitting. I was fitted about 2 years ago to my bike and never rode it until this last November. My neck and shoulder is more soreness than pain on the longer rides. My worry is my right hand going numb to where I can’t shift. The 40 miler is the first time it’s been that bad.

I hope to be at Hill Country Village to ride Tuesday afternoon.

6. Brittany permalink
    April 24, 2009 6:56 pm

Hey Veronica,
    I bought my bike about 3 months ago from the Ride Away at Huebner and I bought it new, but it was a guy that fitted it for me. I will definitely be calling Janelle and setting up a time for a fitting, thank you. I will let you know how it goes!!