“Honor Guard Bicycle Ride” to the memorial service for Greg and Alex Bruehler

October 5, 2009

Please make it a point to attend this memorial service for Gregory & Alexandra Bruehler.  Their family requested cyclists to be a part of this.  We should do whatever we can to honor their wishes.  Info on the Memorial Service is posted here:  https://saridelikeagirl.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/memorial-for-fallen-cyclists-gregory-alexandra-bruehler-tuesday-october-6th-at-7pm/

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to the Kylie Bruehler Benefit Fund at any Frost Bank or by mail to: Kylie Bruehler Benefit Fund, c/o 24165 IH-10 West, Ste. 217-270, San Antonio, Texas 78257-1160.

Bicyclists from the San Antonio area are invited to participate in a very short “honor guard bicycle ride” to the memorial service for Greg and Alex Bruehler.  It is way for San Antonio & surrounding area’s cyclists to show their respects to the family of two fellow cyclists that were killed last week in the San Antonio area.

Cyclists will gather at the Boerne City Hall at 5:45 PM on Tuesday, October 6th.  At 6:15 PM the group will ride to St. John’s Lutheran Church and will stand as an honor guard across from the church while friends and family arrive for the service.

The line of cyclists will stand silently, holding their helmets, across the road from the church as Greg and Alex’s friends and family arrive for the service.  The vigil will break up about five minutes after the service begins.

Boerne City Hall

402 E. Blanco Road, Boerne, Texas 78006 bruehler memorial map

For information contact:

Robin Stallings

512-694-9158 cell

Executive Director

BikeTexas

Or contact Veronica directly at: (210) 383-4663.

October 6, 2009 7:09 am

I’ll be there in my new RLAG jersey, seems like a good time to wear it.

2. October 6, 2009 7:51 am

Yes, we really need to think about the importance of honoring these riders, their daughter & family in their time of need.

And we quietly & respectfully need to make a statement that helps to bring about change. This was so sad… I don’t know that I’ll be able to ride again without thinking about Greg & Alex, and I never even met them. I see they were wonderful people.

Prayers to their beautiful little girl…

• Letty Dietes permalink
      October 6, 2009 8:29 am

Unfortunately I cannot be at the memorial tonight. I will be making a donation to the Kylie Bruehler Benefit Fund and the family will be in my prayers.

3. October 6, 2009 10:44 am

Several of you asked about whether to wear a jersey. I am going to wear a black tank, put my jersey over it. Black arm band.

• Karyn permalink
      October 6, 2009 12:14 pm

I think that is a good idea about wearing the black tank. I think wearing our jerseys, especially group/team jerseys will help to show our unity and our dedication to cycling and the rights of cyclists.

4. EMY M. TOMAS permalink
    October 7, 2009 5:32 pm

A VERY TOUCHING RIDE TO SHOW SUPPORT TO OUR FELLOW CYCLIST OUT THERE THE MERE PRESENCE OF US OUT THERE MEANS A LOT TO THE FAMILY AGAIN THANKS TO ALL CYCLIST THAT SHOWED UP,.,.,

5. Rosalinda permalink
    October 7, 2009 6:47 pm

Veronica, I so sorry Sonia and I couldn’t make it, our prayers are with the family. I am glad that many bikers showed up for support.

If you want to see the report go to Kens5 web site and you can watch the video.

See you soon.