BIKE NIGHT – Wednesday, 10/14/2009 at 6PM

October 13, 2009

It is important, if you ride, to be involved.female cyclist 1 b

Join the MPO’s Bicycle Mobility Advisory Committee for a special evening committee meeting to report on the state of cycling in San Antonio and Bexar County.   Find out what’s been accomplished and where we are heading.

BIKE NIGHT at the MPO

Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Time: 6pm Open House, 6:30pm meeting begins.

Location: Community Room, VIA Metro Center, 1021 San Pedro, 78212

Link for Directions, Click Here

female cyclist 2Your attendance is very important at this meeting.  I know we are all really busy, but the MPO doesn’t understand what our real issues are.  At the last meeting I attended, they made statements about how most of the ‘northside’ cyclists don’t even ride in San Antonio.  We tried to explain that we have to drive further & further north to be safe due to limited ‘bike-friendly’ routes in town, but I don’t know if they heard us.

They are doing  many things in an attempt to make San Antonio bike-friendly, but it is not going to happen by itself.  We all have to get involved, whether we’re beginners or seasoned cyclists.  They need your input & they need to know how many of us there are with these needs.

It will be very important for as many of us as possible to show up.  Hundreds of cyclists at this meeting would show the MPO that man riding bike 1we are large in number and that we have needs that are not being adequately addressed.  Specifically safe bicycling.  Usually there is a small handful of cyclists and the MPO steps up to talk of all they are doing.  With cyclists dying on our streets, it is time for a change.  That change begins with you.

Many of you that are new to cycling don’t know what to do when opportunities like this one come up.  Some of you feel because you are new, you have nothing to say, so you can’t see the importance of coming to a meeting like this.  Many of you, new & experienced cyclists feel that it won’t do any good.  What is needed is that you show up, the rest will fall into place.  We can’t make significant change by staying home.

We look forward to seeing you there…

female cyclist 3a

1. Letty Dietes permalink
    October 13, 2009 6:58 pm

Letty will be there with RLAG jersey.

2. Andrew Sanders permalink
    October 14, 2009 9:47 am

There’s an article about this meeting here:

In the comments of that article there is comment by Debbie at 9:25AM:

“I didn’t see the details of the meeting in the article. Here they are: BICYCLE MOBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE at VIA METRO CENTER, 1021 SAN PEDRO AVE on WED: OCT. 14TH AT 6:00PM. Guest speaker will be:MR. GARY BRUEHLER, father of Greg Bruehler.”

Can anyone confirm or deny Gary Bruehler being the guest speaker at that meeting tonight?

• October 14, 2009 10:32 am

Letty – we’ll see you tonight, bring your friends!!!

Andrew – thanks for the link info on the story. I contacted some people to see if Gary is planning on going. Will let you know…

3. sonia permalink
    October 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Sorry, I just read the article. U all made a difference in the way people see cyclists

4. Andrea Basse permalink
    October 15, 2009 6:16 am

Hi Veronica i was very glad to meet you. please email me directly when you guys might need me as well. Ill talk to the Govener if you guys would need me to. He would be protecting kids and adults alike to sign that bill. If i told him my paramedic storys i think he would sign alot more safe driving bills. Anyway my email is noella041@yahoo.com number 512-636-2290. I feel like talking about my personal tragedies might help me. It was hard but i felt a wierd relief after i got out of the meeting. Anyway keep safe out there. Andrea Basse

• October 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Andrea – I would think it would be good to get all that stuff out. And given the right forum, think of all the good it could do helping others. Please feel free to let me know if you’d be interested in guest-posting something about it here. We would love that!!

Talk to you soon…

5. Andrew Sanders permalink
    October 15, 2009 11:01 am

I didn’t make it to the meeting last night – I know, I didn’t do my duty this round. It sounds like it was positive from what Andrea stated. What exactly went down? Was the MPO more receptive to feedback?

• October 15, 2009 4:22 pm

Andrew – we did have a good turn out. I was delightfully surprised at the changing attitudes at the MPO. Well, Scott is still Scott, but there was a lot of encouraging information. They are doing a lot more for off-road riding, mostly paved. Those of us that need to ride the roads, we may need to assist them in understanding our needs better.

Sandra – yes, we need everyone. Especially the newer cyclists – they bring a fresh perspective & energy to things… and it’s not about what I do, it’s about what all of us collectively do… see you soon.

6. Sandra Martinez permalink
    October 15, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks Veronica for everything you do for us. I will see you again in many more meetings.

7. Andrea Basse permalink
    October 15, 2009 6:01 pm

If any of you guys know anyone in the biking community that could teach me to do public speaking it would be helpful. It was hard and i was nervous but to be honest i want to help you guys get the laws you need to protect you. So lemme know.

• October 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Andrea – I’d be happy to teach you. I know how to do it, I just am way too shy & get real anxious…

I’ll also look to see if I can find some websites that talk about it. You should google ‘how to speak in public’. You’ll be amazed by all the info.

I thought you did really well. (OK, so not as good as John Banks, but he’s an attorney – he does that stuff all the time. None of us did as good as him.) But how you spoke was really heart-felt. That had a lot of impact.

V.